Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Still in progress & needing development. Thoughts?


i. he, loose and aloft, in the desert
        He was something loose        at the edges he was
all untied and open                    at his perimeters his

waving borders so loose         in the wind fitting

that he would look so flyaway           so somewhere
absent from here                           where you saw him



            These are the branches        that came out
of his mouth his voice                        bloomed with trees

dogwood and mistletoe              tumbled from his
vocal strings                         minute wires clung to trembling

green vibrato                      but he spoke through nets
of leaves often             his voice caught in the foliage




           Where did you come from          dark-eyed waif?
Wanderer where                                 did you ask the sun

for directions with                                his hands clasped he's
holding moon under his tongue            --tree man

so inexorable                               in his carcas why did he
loose his ivory tongue                     on the hills?

The crows crawled up then                      they dug
their hooked wings                            into the earth hard nails

that scratched on limestone                  toward him
black smothering rings                           spun slow ascent

but he was in the desert                   the implacable
desert and the open                           --which was like

a door--was more                     the frame of his
wilderness than                             the scrawling emptiness



so through the door          he stepped leaving
the crows to ground                 facing wilderness

and howling wind              all the sun ever said was that
he could climb             his own vines to find a resting

place that all the world               was simply a door
to the next moment                the next spoke of the wheel

he had never felt               so loose even the wind
was slow behind him                 the crows laughing

at themselves when he            walked through desert doors
keeping the moon               under his tongue so as not

to disturb the air             or perhaps keep the door open
propping it with                 the green branches swaying

from his throat                      he was sprouting
there on the desert’s          side of the open door

all doors are open                spaces that his moon-dyed
tongue might move                      through seeking

the path to sun                      the path to sand
rock limestone                         crawling beneath his feet

roots solidly wound                    into cracks

ii. The moon from under his tongue

I am sheltered in the under universe
of my hands
here all beginnings
are my roots all circles
ending in each other
I have harnessed the hills
in my veins I have caught
the nets of air in my heartstrings
I am both
the intertwining voices of male/
female even here
in the implacable desert
the broad unmarkable desert
my water runs deeper
and I open doors
like pearls that run on water
cleaving tenuous valleys
where trees grow where
deep drinking trees find water
deep drinking from my upturned hands
in half the shape of a wheel
in half the shape of a moon of water
each circumference fit
to the other each wheel
in a wheel moon
in a moon
under my upturned universe
gleaming under my upturned sky
& reflected in the sure disk
that I shed on the hills
even the impossible desert
that I might grow there a tree
to reach its branches up
& mingle with the facing sky

this is the song of the upturned universe the song of the bear
crow and serpent writhing in the grass
making shadows in the sand beneath my feet
under my moon tongue leashed
under my moon tongue
gathered in my moon and water hands
can you dance with me under the water sun ride
the hills with me unleashed
take my riven hands the ones with which I loosed the moon
loosed myself on the broken hills
to dance with bear and crow and serpent
here in the light of the crossed and silver moon

I wrote on the sky with my blood
and found poetry in the steeping stars
I bled poetry
from my heart I drew it
from my blood my seeping blood
my seeping poetry blood on the walk
on the walls
I wrote language on the stars
twisting them into sounds or messages
on the blue canvas sky

the sky of the

iii. wide implacable god

she brings water out of the upturned hills.
They are like bowls that she fashions in clay,
that she draws from her skin
stretched over her aching, spinning bones.
She is aching with song,
with the poetry of her blood;
she spills it
to mark her place in the ground.
She is flourishing there.

The crows are living in her branches—
she, the wide implacable god
of the desert.

Her abundant arms are livid
with thriving voices, white
as though they might burst
with the electricity of her singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment